When we drive it is important for us to be able to see well. That means keeping the glass in our vehicles as crystal clear as we can.
If you have ever driven your car directly into bright sunlight, you know that dirty, scratched or fogged windows can render you almost completely blind. Not a good thing when you're moving down the road.
It is important to be able to see your mirrors and other vehicles around you, so a little clarity can go a long way.
Let's take a look at how you can maximize your visibility:
- Clean windows with the right cleaner. Don't use cleaners that have ammonia or alcohol in them. Ammonia can cause the surfaces of your vehicle's interior to dry out and can damage some window tints. Special automotive glass cleaners are available, and your service advisor can make recommendations.
- Don't use abrasives on your windows. Some kitchen sponges have a pad on one side meant to clean pots and pans. Don't use those! That abrasive can scratch glass and permanently damage it! Instead, a microfiber towel designed for cleaning glass is the most recommended by all the pros.
- We may remember to clean the outside, but the inside is just as important. We have all seen that film the develops on the inside of our vehicles windows. It can be cause by cigarette smoke or by sunlight baking your vehicle's plastic and leather interior surfaces releasing oils into the cabin. Be sure to thoroughly clean that oily layer.
Once your windows are clean, it is important to be able to keep them clean when you're on the road. Especially your windshield. Replace your wiper blades regularly since the material used in them deteriorates over time even if they're not used all that much.
- There are several different types of wiper blades, and among the newest is the "beam" blade.
- Beam blades have several advantages over more traditional blades, including a more contoured fit to the windshield surface. Some even incorporate an aerodynamic design that presses them tighter to the glass at higher speeds.
- Your service advisor will be able to recommend the best blade for your vehicle and install them properly.
If you are having trouble seeing out of your windshield, let us inspect your wiper blades at your next service.
Give us a call at 419-925-4329.
Chickasaw Garage Inc.